Looking for an aggressive header set for a hoodless classic or rat rod? The Sanderson Chopster header set provides a unique look that grabs attention.
Comes with all hardware necessary for installation.
Engine : Small Block Ford (289-302, 351W)
Primary Tube Diameter : 1-7/8″
Weight : N/A
- 16-Gauge Primary and Collector Tube Thickness
- 3/8″ Thick Flange
- Patented Flange Design Requires NO Gaskets
- Tightest Fitting Header Available Anywhere!
- Made in the USA
- Header Bolt Set
- (8) Baffle Inserts
Sanderson’s Ceramic Coating is recommended for every vehicle application and is the default finish selection choice above. To meet high standards of quality, Sanderson applies a multi-layer inside and outside aluminized ceramic coating in-house and then polishes the coating to a high luster. This aerospace and military-grade technology adds excellent protection to your headers, while offering the benefit of thermal control in your engine bay. It also improves cylinder scavenging of exhaust gases, and increases the longevity of your header investment.
Below is a general image graphic of the Sanderson Chopster header set. This image is NOT to scale or engine specific, and is merely to provide the basic layout and dimensions of the Chopster Header for all engine applications.
SB Ford Flanges
Sanderson offers some of their small block Ford headers in two flange styles—the standard rectangular flange, and the square port flange. Many aftermarket cylinder head manufacturers now use the square port shape on their products. However, that does not mean the square flange is required. The importance here is to ensure the header flange properly seals to the cylinder head. In most cases, the standard rectangular shape works perfectly, but on other heads, the square port flange is necessary. It is the customer’s responsibility to decide the correct flange for their application. Typically, the ONLY cylinder heads that accept a square port flange are those with either four mounting bolts per port (two are spaced wider apart to accommodate the wider port opening) or very specific cylinder heads that only offer the wider bolt spacing.
NOTE: Sanderson charges extra for headers built with the square port flange due to the additional manufacturing time required.
Below are two images showing the differences in the flange styles. Please use these images and the provided dimensions to ensure the proper flange is selected for your new Sanderson Headers from the drop down menu on the product details.
Zoomie and Chopster Header Baffle Inserts:
Sanderson does NOT provide mounting holes for mounting the muffler baffle inserts due to possible liability issues. Safe installation and proper securing of the insert is the responsibility of the customer or installer.
Baffle Installation Procedure:
- First, make sure the inserts are the correct size for the application. Sanderson’s 1.875″ inserts are for small block engine applications, and the 2.250″ inserts are for big block engine applications.
- For NEW installations – Notice that one end of each Sanderson muffler insert is partly closed off with a welded washer.
- Insert the muffler into one of the pipes of the header with the partially closed-off end first. DO NOT FORCE. The insert should be snug, but not too tight.
- Use a tape measure to determine the depth of the insert from the end of the tube. Use that measurement to mark the bottom of the header tube. MEASURE THE INSERT DEPTH FOR EVERY TUBE.
- There are methods to secure the insert. Either drill a hole slightly in front of the insert and install a stove bolt and lock nut (or use red Loctite); or drill and tap directly into the baffle ring, using a properly sized bolt with a small amount of red Loctite on the bolt threads
- NOTE: Some customers have used sheet metal or self-drilling/tapping screws to hold the mufflers in place, but such screws tend to vibrate loose.
- When the mufflers are securely fitted in all eight pipes, the headers are ready to install on the engine.
- The Patented Leak-Free Design offered on all Sanderson Tube-Style Headers is the only leak-free flange design on the market … Do Not Attempt To Use Flange Gaskets! The raised flange on the Sanderson Headers will buckle the gasket during tightening and actually cause a leak! Please follow the installation instructions at this link.
- Sanderson Headers are NOT emissions legal on pollution-controlled motor vehicles. It is the purchaser’s responsibility to verify local and federal regulations for compliance.
- Wrapping Sanderson Headers with ANY thermal tape (heat wrap, header tape, header wrap) voids the header warranty – NO EXCEPTIONS! The best thermal protection for any header set is the application of a multi-layer, inside and out, Aluminized Ceramic Coating. Sanderson applies their coatings in-house, and is available for every Sanderson Header. For more information on why header wraps are a bad idea, please read this article.